Sunday 15 April 2012

Italian Meringue Buttercream

I love this icing!!!
I usually make up a dark chocolate version, which then gets devoured by the hubby and B. Its ends up being a beautiful mousse texture and its not too sweet.
I've seen plenty of ways to do this, so I'm not saying mine is the right way, it just works for me :)

ITALIAN MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM (makes enough icing to fill and ice 1 4 layer 6" cake)

Ingredients:
100g egg whites
200g caster sugar
250g butter, chopped sitting at room temp
50g water
** for this I added 150g of melted white chocolate as my flavour, you can add vanilla extract or fruit flavours as well if you want



Step 1:
Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks, I added some colouring as I was making a ruffle cake


Step 2:
Add the water and sugar to a saucepan and heat over high heat until the sugar syrup reaches 120 degrees celcius. If you've read my macaron recipe, I dont use a candy thermometer, I judge by sight and sound. I haven't had any problems so far, but again, that's just me.




Step 3:
Once the sugar syrup reaches the correct temperature, pour into the egg whites while mixing on a low speed, being careful not to splash the sugar syrup with the mixer. When all the sugar syrup has been poured in, turn the mixer up to high and mix until the meringue is thick and glossy and the bowl has cooled.



Step 4:
Turn the mixer back down to low and add the butter 1 or 2 cubes at a time beating well after each addition to make sure that the butter doesn't leave lumps. If the mix is not coming together put it in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm it back up.
The end result should look like this:


The buttercream can be stored for a couple of weeks in an air tight container in the fridge, to use bring it back up to room temp and re-whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment